The Social Security and Tax Number System
- The Social Security and Tax Number (Individual Number) is a unique 12-digit number assigned to every resident of Japan.
- Note that certain application forms submitted to the Health Insurance Society require entry of the Social Security and Tax Number.
See here regarding inquiries about the Social Security and Tax Number System.
- Social Security and Tax Number toll-free general hotline
- Hours: 9:30 am - 8:00 pm M-F, 9:30 am - 5:30 pm weekends (not including New Year’s and year-end holidays)
Adoption of the Social Security and Tax Number System
Under the Social Security and Tax Number System, every person registered on a certificate of residence will be assigned a 12-digit Individual Number (Social Security and Tax Number). This will make it possible to accurately and efficiently link information for individuals across the domains of social security, tax, and disaster response.
Purpose of adoption of the Social Security and Tax Number System
- Administrative efficiency
The system will greatly reduce the time and effort required by national administrative agencies, local governments, and other organizations for various activities, including checking, transferring, and entering various types of information. By better linking multiple operations, the system will eliminate task duplication and other inefficiencies.
- Realizing a fair and equitable society
The system will make it easier to ascertain income and benefits received from other administrative services. This, in turn, will help prevent cases of unjustified avoidance of burdens or inappropriate receipt of benefits, while providing comprehensive assistance to those who really need it.
- Improving convenience to the public
The system will simplify various administrative procedures and reduce the burden for the public -for example, by reducing the need to attach documents. The system will also allow members of the public to check the information concerning them held by administrative agencies and to receive notifications of and learn about various services such agencies can provide.
Social Security and Tax Number Card (Individual Number Card)
The Social Security and Tax Number Card is a plastic card with an embedded IC chip. The front indicates the bearer's name, address, date of birth, gender, and facial photograph. The rear indicates the bearer's Social Security and Tax Number.
This card can be used as an ID card and to access various services (e.g., local government services, e-Tax and other electronic filing systems using digital certificates).
To apply for issuance, contact your municipal government.
You can use your Individual Number Card as a health insurance card
The amended Health Insurance Act promulgated in May 2019 introduced a system that lets you use your Social Security and Tax Number Card (Individual Number Card) as a health insurance card (online eligibility verification system), starting in March 2021. This system became fully operational on October 20, 2021.
You can use your Individual Number Card as a health insurance card to verify various eligibility information -for example, the health insurer providing coverage- at medical care institutions and other facilities that have adopted the online eligibility verification system.
- * Note that you can continue using your current health insurance card. The system simply adds a health insurance card feature to the Social Security and Tax Number Card.
You must register on the Mynaportal site etc. before using your Individual Number Card as your health insurance card. See here for more information.
Using your Individual Number Card as your health insurance card (Mynaportal)
You can also apply for prior registration at a Seven Bank ATM.
How to apply at a Seven Bank ATM (Seven Bank)
◆About online eligibility verification
The online eligibility verification system uses the IC chip on the Individual Number Card or the health insurance card code/number, etc. to verify eligibility information.
- *Medical care institutions and other facilities do not handle patients’ (12-digit) Social Security and Tax Numbers directly. Instead, they use the IC chips on Individual Number Cards.
- *An Individual Number Card cannot be used as a health insurance card at medical care institutions and other facilities that have yet to adopt the online eligibility verification system.
If you start employment, change jobs, or move to a new address, you can use your Individual Number Card as your health insurance card for examinations and treatment, without waiting for a new health insurance card. (You are still required to apply for membership to a health insurance society.)
Future Mynaportal refinements will make it even more convenient to use, allowing you to view your own specified health diagnosis information, prescription information, and medical care cost information and automatically enter the medical care cost information required to claim medical expenses deductions on your income tax return.
◆Schedule for linkage to Individual Number Card
|Aug 7, 2020||The Mynaportal site begins accepting applications for advance registration.|
|March 2021||Trial operation of the online eligibility verification system begins.|
|Oct 20, 2021||Online eligibility verification system is now fully operational
You can use your Individual Number Card as a health insurance card at medical care institutions and pharmacies that have adopted the online eligibility verification system. (You will no longer need to submit a Certificate of Application of Maximum Copayment Amount; however, you will still need to submit documents in certain cases -for example, when receiving medical assistance from your local government.)
|October 2021 (After the system becomes fully operational)||You can view your specific health checkup information at the Mynaportal site. (The time at which such information becomes available for viewing will depend on the health insurance society.)
You can view your prescription information at the Mynaportal site.
|November 2021||You will be able to view your medical care cost information on the Mynaportal site.|
|Final income tax return for 2021||When claiming medical expenses deductions on your income tax return, you will be able to have medical care cost information entered automatically through the Mynaportal site.
- * The time at which you can begin to use your Individual Number Card as a health insurance card will vary depending on the medical care institution or pharmacy. Go to the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare website to find out which medical care institutions and pharmacies accept the Individual Number Card.
◆Individual Number Card acceptance
In general, medical care institutions and other facilities that accept the Individual Number Card as a health insurance card will display posters and stickers indicating "マイナ受付 (Individual Number Card Accepted Here)."
Check whether the medical care institution or pharmacy accepts Individual Number Cards before receiving examinations or treatment. The number of facilities accepting Individual Number Cards as health insurance cards remains limited.
Account registration system for receipt of public funds
The account registration system for receipt of public funds is a voluntary system for registering your savings account with a financial institution with the Japanese government (Digital Agency) as a personal account for receiving benefits and other funds.
After registering your account, you will no longer need to enter the name of a financial institution or account number when applying or completing other procedures for health insurance and other benefits.
You can register an account for receiving public funds at Mynaportal.
Subject health insurance benefits etc.
- Inpatient Meal Expenses, Inpatient Living Expenses, medical care expenses, Home-Visit Nursing Care Expenses, and Transportation Expenses
- Payment of Injury and Sickness Allowance
- Payment of Funeral Expenses
- Payment of Childbirth and Childcare Lump-Sum Grant
- Payment of Maternity Allowance
- Payment of Dependents’ Medical Care Expenses, Dependents’ Home-Visit Nursing Care Expenses, and Dependents’ Transportation Expenses
- Payment of Dependents’ Funeral Expenses
- Payment of Dependents’ Childbirth and Childcare Lump-Sum Grant
- Payment of High-Cost Medical Care Benefits and High Aggregate Cost for Long-Term Care Service
- Additional benefits stipulated in the health insurance society's constitution
- Refunds of insurance premiums paid by Voluntarily and Continuously Insured Persons and Special-Case Retired Insured Persons
Scheduled start of operations
Operations will begin successively from October 2022 for insurers who have completed preparations.
Handling of Social Security and Tax Numbers and specific personal information
Social Security and Tax Numbers and personal information containing these numbers ( “specific personal information” hereinafter) may not be used for purposes other than those specified by law.
Restrictions apply to the use, provision, and collection of Social Security and Tax Numbers.
- Scope of use of Social Security and Tax Numbers
By law, use of the numbers is restricted to administrative procedures related to social security, tax, and disaster response.
- Requests to provide Social Security and Tax Numbers
The individuals concerned and others can only be asked to provide Social Security and Tax Numbers when this information is necessary to prepare documents for procedures involving social security and tax matters.
- Restrictions on requests to provide Social Security and Tax Numbers and on provision and collection of specific personal information
Requesting or collecting Social Security and Tax Numbers and specific personal information or providing this information to others is prohibited except in accordance with restrictions set forth under law.
The Health Insurance Society will handle Social Security and Tax Numbers as a Person in Charge of Affairs Using the Individual Number.
A Person in Charge of Affairs Using the Individual Number is a national administrative agency, a local government, an independent administrative agency, or other organization that uses Social Security and Tax Numbers in their processing of administrative procedures, as established in Appended Table 1 of the Act on the Use of Numbers to Identify a Specific Individual in the Administrative Procedure and relevant ordinances.
As a Person in Charge of Affairs Using the Individual Number, the Health Insurance Society will use Social Security and Tax Numbers solely within the scope of such administrative procedures.
The Social Security and Tax Number (Individual Number) System (Digital Agency)